Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Stripping Asjiah by Sa'Rese


Stripping Asjiah by Sa'Rese - 3.5-4 Stars!

I read a lot, and street lit is my favorite. However, this novel was a different type of street lit/Urban tale. I’ve been pondering all day to put my words around how to describe this read. I’ve never heard of Sa’Rese or this novel in any of my book clubs, I happened to stumble on it via Good Reads. I am glad I did.

Stripping Asjiah is a story of a young girl’s life from age seven to eighteen; however the majority of the story takes place in Asjiah’s senior year in high school. As if your teen age years aren’t already an emotional roller coaster, add being raised by your Grandmother who absolutely despises you because you’re a female version of the man who killed her daughter. That’s life for Asjiah. The only person left in the world who loves her unconditionally is her brother Angel, the hoods Al Pacino.

Stripping Asjiah was a great read, very fast paced and easy to follow. Sa’rese’s writing style is very fresh, witty and filled with humor that this generation would understand. Very hip in her wording by using many slang related terms, made the story very fun to read. This novel had me literally laughing out loud when reading Asjiah’s journal passages and her train of thought, I loved it! I also liked the way she began and ended a situation very swiftly; she didn’t make it a long drawn out situation with pages and pages. She got to the point easily!

We are left with some unanswered questions, so I hope a part two will be out soon. I’m rooting for Money & Asjiah! I give Stripping Asjiah 3.5-4 stars. Great read, a little short but I’m anticipating a part 2.

Who is Sa'Rese? How do we contact her? Is this her only novel?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie,

Thank you for the blog about my book. You can look me up on facebook; Sa'Rese is my user id. Stripping Asjiah is my first debut novel and I am currently working on the sequel. I also do spoken word as well. You can find interviews that I have done on urbanmag-online.com

Again, thank you to all who have read or plan to read my book. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Sa'Rese

Natalie said...

Sa'Rese I give props where it's due! Can't wait for part 2.

Marcy said...

I want to buy this book now!!

Marcy,
smudgemyeyeliner.com

Anonymous said...

this is very true, I like this review.
Being in high school you can really relate to Asjiah and the life she's living.
She's a very interesting girl and has a very clue of what she's doing.
Very good book I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a book they can't put down.

Post a Comment